- This event has passed.
Sex Science Social: The Gender Spectrum
September 13, 2018 @ 7:30 pm - 11:00 pm
“There are only two genders: male and female”
“Identifying as trans is a new concept brought on by the Millennial generation”
“Trans and non-binary individuals are only found in Western countries”
Every day we are bombarded with inaccurate, moralistic, and pseudo-scientific information and advice about sex and relationships. How do you figure out what’s true and what’s not?
About the Event:
One special evening each month, Dr. Zhana hosts an evening of geeking out over sexual science on a current, interesting, and useful topic followed by a BYOB social with like-minded folks at the gorgeous Hacienda Villa in Brooklyn, New York. She presents the research, explains the science, and holds a group discussion to hear your thoughts and questions.This month, we will be exploring the topic of the gender spectrum and how it exists beyond a Western framework.
Many assume that trans and non-binary folks have only been around briefly, and while the Internet and social media have allowed for more trans people to connect and come out, the concept of genders other than male or female has existed for many many years. For example, many South Asian countries recognize the existence of “third genders” including hijra (in India), Fa’afafine (in Samoa), and Kathoey (in Thailand) with some countries having done so for over 20 years. This month, we are excited to announce a special guest that will be joining Dr. Zhana to discuss his research in India on this topic: Dr. Matthew Stief.
About Dr. Zhana:
Dr. Zhana is a sex researcher, NYU professor, writer, and podcaster with a passion for bringing accurate sex science to the modern world. She’s doing the work of sifting through the long, complicated research papers to bring you the key takeaways with real-world application. Her goal is to use evidence-based information to help you make sense of your own sexuality, clear up confusion, discuss things you don’t feel comfortable asking your friends about, and help you navigate the diverse and fascinating world of sex.
About Dr. Stief:
Dr. Stief is a Project Manager at The CUNY Institute for Implementation Science in Population Health (ISPH). His work focuses on the predictors and correlates of HIV seroconversion in a large national longitudinal sample of high-risk gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men. He received his PhD in Developmental Psychology from Cornell University, where he did research on the biopsychosocial foundations of sexual orientation and gender identity, with a special focus on variability within orientations and across cultures. Dr. Stief’s expertise focuses on key populations, research design and implementation, data collection and analysis, survey design, database management, and cross-cultural research.
Frequently Asked Questions:
“Are singles welcome?”
- Yes! This is not a partnered event, so all are welcome. EACH PERSON MUST RESERVE A TICKET.
“How much do tickets cost?”
- All tickets are donation based and “pay what you can.” Suggested donation is $20-$40, but whatever you are willing pay is perfectly acceptable.
“Is this a play party?”
- No. This is a clothes-on educational event. There is no touch of any kind involved, and none of the suggested exercises are mandatory. Dr. Zhana will be there to support you in providing a safer space for you to participate.
“Will there be food and drinks?”
- The event is BYOB. There will be snacks and water offered free of charge. Dinner will NOT be provided.
“I can’t find the address!”
- The address will be sent to you upon ticket reservation. Hacienda Villa is a private residence so for the safety and comfort of the housemembers, the address is not disclosed publicly.
“I can’t make it in person. Will it be recorded?”
- Yes! The event will be live streamed from Dr. Zhana’s Facebook Page, and it will remain on her page after the recording is over. If you are able, we ask that you purchase the “Watch Online” donation-based ticket to watch the live stream to help support Dr. Zhana’s work.
“What is your refund policy?”
- All of Dr. Zhana’s events are donation based with the hope to make accurate sex education available to all, regardless of financial status. When reserving a ticket, you are making a donation to support the efforts of Dr. Zhana and The Hacienda Community in educating the masses on these important subjects. Therefore, donations via ticket reservation are non-refundable. You are welcome to watch the live stream on Dr. Zhana’s Facebook Page during the time of the event or afterwards.
Two volunteers are needed to help event preparation and cleanup (approximately 30 minutes before doors open and up to one hour after event). Please email [email protected] if you’d like to help us out!
Doors Open: 7:30pm
#legitsexscience Lecture and Q&A: 8:00pm -10:00pm
Presentation starts at 8pm SHARP. Please don’t be late.
Social: 10:00pm – 11:00pm
- September 13, 2018
7:30 pm - 11:00 pm
- Event Tags:
- #event, gender, Sex Science Social
- Hacienda Villa (sex-positive intentional community)
Location to be disclosed upon ticket reservation, Brooklyn, NY 11206
Brooklyn, New York 11206
- Dr. Zhana Vrangalova